Frequently Asked Questions

1How long does a U.S. Export Certificate of Airworthiness remain valid?
It never expires, although some countries have special requirements internally or in their bilateral agreements with the U.S. that state that they will not accept an Export Certificate of Airworthiness if it is more than 60 days old or if the airplane has flown more than 50 hours since it was issued. Check with the importing authority.
2When exporting an airplane, does it have to remain on the US registry until the Export Certificate of Airworthiness is issued?
Yes the aircraft MUST be U.S. registered at the time the FAA Export Certificate of Airworthiness is issued.
3What is the difference between and FAA DAR and DER?

An FAA DAR (Designated Airworthiness Representative) and an FAA DER (Designated Engineering Representative) are private persons who have been given authorizations to perform certain certification functions on behalf of the FAA. These authorizations are granted based on a person’s knowledge and experience in a particular field of aviation, such as aircraft manufacturing, aircraft engineering, or aircraft maintenance.

4Who can request the airplane to be deregistered from the US registry?
If there are no more flights to be made while under the current US registration number, and there is no more work to be accomplished requiring an FAA certification, then the aircraft may be deregistered after that point. The FAA registered owner, as per registration certificate Form AC 8050-3, must make a request to the FAA AFS-750 for deregistration
5Who can register an aircraft on the United States Civil Aircraft Registry
An aircraft is eligible for U.S. Registration if it is not registered in another country and it is owned by: • An individual who is a United States citizen, • A partnership each of whose partners is an individual who is a U.S. citizen, • A corporation or association: ◦organized under the laws of the U.S. or a State, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory or possession, ◦of which the president and at least two-thirds of the board of directors and other managing officers are U.S citizens, and in which at least 75% of the voting interest is owned or controlled by persons that are U.S. citizens, •An individual citizen of a foreign country lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the U.S., •A U.S. governmental unit or subdivision, •A non-U.S. citizen corporation organized and doing business under the laws of the U.S. or one of the States as long as the aircraft is based and primarily used in the U.S. (60% of all flight hours must be from flights starting and ending within the U.S.)
6Is the DAR responsible for aircraft registration?
No. Registration of the aircraft is not a function of airworthiness certification, however it is a prerequisite for issuance of an airworthiness certificate and the owner’s responsibility.
7How do I Register an Aircraft?

An aircraft may be registered only by and in the legal name of its owner. To register an imported aircraft, you must provide the following:

  • a statement by the official having jurisdiction over the National Aircraft Registry of the foreign country of export indicating that registration has ended or that the aircraft was never registered,
  • evidence of ownership, such as a Bill of Sale, signed in ink, from the foreign seller to the U. S. applicant/owner,
  • a completed Aircraft Registration Application, AC Form 8050-1,
  • a check or money order made payable to the Federal Aviation Administration in the amount of $5 (U.S. funds).

FAA handle imports on a priority basis. Please write "Import" in red ink on the envelope and the request.

You must use an original Aircraft Registration Application, AC Form 8050-1. For the online form select this link, Aircraft Registration Application. Paper application forms may be obtained from the Aircraft Registration Branch or your local FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO).

8The FAA registered owner is not available onsite to sign the FAA Certificate of Airworthiness Application, what can I do?
Provide Letter of Authorization (or similar) from the FAA registered owner authorizing an agent to act on their behalf. Letter must be notarized. DAR requires original letter in hand. US registered owner’s responsibility.
9Does the FAA Standard Airworthiness Certificate expire?
A standard airworthiness certificate remains valid as long as the aircraft meets its approved type design, is in a condition for safe operation and maintenance, preventative maintenance, and alterations are performed in accordance with 14 CFR parts 21, 43, and 91; together with the aircraft registration remaining valid.
10How do I contact FAA Aircraft Registration?
11Does FAA registration expire?
Yes as detailed on the FAA registration certificate Form AC 8050-3, registration is valid for 3 years.
12How does the FAA determine that an aircraft is in a condition for safe operation?
The FAA inspector or authorized Representative of the Administrator will make an initial determination as to the overall condition of the aircraft. The aircraft items evaluated depend on information such as aircraft make, model, age, type, completeness of maintenance records of the aircraft, and the overall condition of the aircraft.
13I would like to review FAA Registry information?
No problems. Open the following link and choose your preference -
14I wish to modify my aircraft, the proposed modification is not an STC or factory approved data?
There are many variables and issues to consider, talk to Martyn Thompson.
15What will the DAR review when he/she inspects the aircraft for an Airworthiness Certificate issuance?
The main objective of the FAA DAR's review of the records and inspection of the aircraft is to determine if: 1) The aircraft meets its type design, or properly altered condition; and 2) The aircraft is in a condition for safe operation.
16Does an Export Certificate of Airworthiness substitute for a Standard Airworthiness Certificate for the purposes of flying the aircraft?
No, an Export C of A is a standalone document only and is conformity statement certifying that the aircraft meets type design and airworthiness certification standards at the time of issue. It does not a substitute or replace the Standard C of A. The airworthiness certificate must still be in the aircraft prior to flight.
17Can I fly internationally with the temporary or pink copy of the U.S. registration?
No. You must have a permanent registration (referred to as the hard card) Form AC 8050-3 or a faxed (emailed) registration document (referred to as the flywire or flight time wire) from the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch.
18What is Escrow?
Escrow services will act as a neutral third party to the transaction. First will conduct a title search of FAA records and International Registry records (if applicable) and determine all of the necessary documents for transfer of clear title to the Buyer. Will receive all documents from the Seller as well as the Seller's lien-holder (if applicable). Will receive the Buyer's funds into escrow and, upon written authorization from the Buyer, disburse the funds to the appropriate parties with simultaneous filing of the documents with the FAA and International Registry (if applicable). A number of Escrow companies exist and provide invaluable service.
Global Aircraft Certification | FAA DAR Down Under | International Aviation Consulting, Auditing | Maintenance Control and Support